Built by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland, this ship was originally to be named Duchess of Cornwall. Built for the Liverpool to Canada service for Canadian Pacific Steamships, Duchess of York was converted to a troopship in 1940.
Continue reading Duchess of York
John Brown & Company built three of Canadian Pacific’s Duchess liners. Duchess of Richmond was built in 1928. With her three sisters, she was to dominate the Liverpool – Canada route. She, too, was converted to a troopship in 1939. Continue reading Duchess of Richmond
In 1928, Duchess of Bedford was built for Canadian Pacific by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland. She was built for the Liverpool – Canada service. She entered wartime service in 1939 and served as a troopship until 1947. When her military service ended, she was returned to her owners for restoration and a return to civilian seas. For a time the company considered renaming her Empress of India, but opted instead for Empress of France. She was rechristened and entered Atlantic service in 1948. In 1960 she was sold for scrap. Demolition took place in Wales. Continue reading Duchess of Bedford
One of four Duchess class steamers built for Canadian Pacific in 1928 was Duchess of Atholl. She was built by William Beardmore & Company in Glasgow, Scotland. She sailed the Liverpool – Canada route and in 1939 was requisitioned as a troopship. Duchess of Atholl’s war service lasted only 3 years. On October 10, 1942 she was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the South Atlantic with the loss of 4 lives. Continue reading Duchess of Atholl
Oil-burning single-reduction-geared turbines geared to twin screws gave Doric a top speed of 15 knots, making her rather slow. Following the drop in passenger travel during the Depression years of the early 30’s, Doric was refit for cruising in 1932. Continue reading Doric
SS Cleveland was built for Hamburg America Line by Blohm & Voss shipbuilders in Hamburg, Germany in 1908. She was 607 ft long, 63 ft wide and displaced 16,960 gross tons. Steam quadruple expansion engines were geared to twin screws giving Cleveland a service speed of 15.5 knots. Passenger capacity was 2,841 (239 First Class, 224Second Class, 496 Third Class and 1882 in steerage). Continue reading Cleveland
SS Cincinnati was built for Hamburg America by Schichau ShipYards in Danzig Germany in 1909. She was 603ft long and 63 ft wide.
Cincinnati displaced 16,339 tons and her quadruple expansion steam engines powered twin screws at 16 knots. She could carry 2,827 passengers (246 First Class, 332 Second Class, 448 Third Class and 1,801 in steerage). Continue reading Cincinnati
Celtic was launched on 4 April 1901 from Harland and Woff shipyard in Belfast and began her maiden voyage on July 26th. She was the first of a quartet of ships over 20,000 tons, dubbed ‘The Big Four’. Continue reading Celtic
Launched August 6th, 1902, RMS Carpathia was built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson at their Newcastle upon Tyne, England shipyard. She was launched on 6 August 1902 and began her sea trials on 22 April 1903. Carpathia’s maiden voyage was on May 5th, 1903. She sailed Cunard’s Liverpool – New York or Boston route in the Summer. Between November and May, she carried immigrants (mainly Hungarian) from Trieste and Fiume to America. Continue reading Carpathia
Caronia and her sister ship Carmania were known as “The Pretty Sisters”. Though not quite super-liners, they were among the largest liners when they were built. They were also an experiment in propulsion by Cunard. Caronia was equipped with more traditional steam engines while her sister received steam turbines. Caronia proved to be the slower of the two at an even consumption of fuel, her quadruple expansion engines requiring more coal to reach 18 knots. Continue reading Caronia (1905)