Category Archives: Cunard Line

RMS Queen Elizabeth 7

Queen Elizabeth

RMS Queen Elizabeth was an ocean liner operated by the Cunard Line and was contracted to carry Royal Mail as the second half of a two-ship weekly express service between Southampton and New York City via Cherbourg. She first entered service in February 1940 as a troopship in the Second World War, and it was not until October 1946 that she served in her intended role as an ocean liner. Together with Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth maintained a two ship weekly transatlantic service from Southampton to New York for over twenty years. With the decline in the popularity of these routes, both ships were replaced by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1969.

Continue reading Queen Elizabeth

Ivernia1900

Ivernia (1900)

Ivernia was built in 1900, by C.S. Swan & Hunter Ltd. in Newcastle. She was the sister ship to Saxonia. Her tonnage was 14,058 tons gross, 11,057 under deck and 9,052 net. She was 582 feet long with a 64.9 foot beam and holds 37.8 feet deep; She had twin screws, 4 masts, 3 steel decks. The upper and main decks were partly sheathed in wood. Steel orlop deck forward, orlop beams aft, steel shelter deck were also sheathed in wood. She was fitted with electric lights and refrigerating machinery.

Continue reading Ivernia (1900)

ivernia

Ivernia (1955) / Franconia (1963)

RMS Ivernia was a Saxonia class ocean liner, built in 1955 by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland for Cunard Line, for their transatlantic passenger service between the UK and Canada. In 1963 she was rebuilt as a cruise ship and renamed RMS Franconia, after the famous pre-war liner RMS Franconia. She continued to sail for Cunard until being withdrawn from service and laid up in 1971. Continue reading Ivernia (1955) / Franconia (1963)

CarpathiaB

Carpathia

Launched August 6th, 1902, RMS Carpathia was built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson at their Newcastle upon Tyne, England shipyard. She was launched on 6 August 1902 and began her sea trials on 22 April 1903. Carpathia’s maiden voyage was on May 5th, 1903. She sailed Cunard’s Liverpool – New York or Boston route in the Summer. Between November and May, she carried immigrants (mainly Hungarian) from Trieste and Fiume to America. Continue reading Carpathia

caronia1A

Caronia (1905)

Caronia and her sister ship Carmania were known as “The Pretty Sisters”. Though not quite super-liners, they were among the largest liners when they were built. They were also an experiment in propulsion by Cunard. Caronia was equipped with more traditional steam engines while her sister received steam turbines. Caronia proved to be the slower of the two at an even consumption of fuel, her quadruple expansion engines requiring more coal to reach 18 knots. Continue reading Caronia (1905)

caronia-from-borhcure-enhanced

Caronia (1948)

After World War II, the Cunard White Star Line operated three ships on the Southampton—New York run. The famous RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth operated an express service, with the smaller and slower RMS Mauretania sailing as the third ship on the route. Already in 1946 the company placed an order for a running mate to the Mauretania, a ship of similar speed and proportions for the transatlantic run. Ultimately this was not to be the role of the new ship. Continue reading Caronia (1948)