Duchess of Bedford

In 1928, Duchess of Bedford was built for Canadian Pacific by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland. She was built for the Liverpool – Canada service. She entered wartime service in 1939 and served as a troopship until 1947. When her military service ended, she was returned to her owners for restoration and a return to civilian seas. For a time the company considered renaming her Empress of India, but opted instead for Empress of France. She was rechristened and entered Atlantic service in 1948. In 1960 she was sold for scrap. Demolition took place in Wales.

Quick Glance

Name: RMS Duchess of Bedford
Owner: Canadian Pacific Line
Route: Liverpool – Quebec City
Builder: John Brown & Co.
Launched: 20 April 1928
Fate: Scrapped in Wales 1961
General characteristics
Type: Ocean liner
Tonnage: 20,123
Length: 601
Propulsion: Steam Turbine / Twin Screws
Speed: 18 Knots
Capacity: 1,570
– 580 Cabin Class
– 480 Tourist Class
– 510 Third Class

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *